bar exams 2008

the supreme court just released the results of the 2008 bar exams. as expected, a woman topped the bar. the surprise is, she is not a graduate of UP, ateneo or san beda. her name is judy a. lardizabal, and she made the san sebastian college school of law very very proud.

the second surprise is the #2 spot, which was given to another woman, and again not a graduate of UP, ateneo or san beda. mylene i. amerol-macumbal is from the mindanao state university college of law.

*****

every year, at around this time, i feel some sort of emotional distress. i last took the bar exams in 2006, which was the third time for me. in 2007, when the results came up and i did not make it yet again, i felt like i wasted, what, 5 years of my life slugging it out in law school when i should have been carving out a career for myself. at the age of 25 i was still in school when my peers were already managers. at the age of 25 i was still being supported by my parents, and my dad could not retire because i relied on him for my tuition fees. at the age of 25 i was hopeful that i would become what my father could not be: the first lawyer in the family.

in 2003 that dream failed. in 2004 that dream failed again. in 2007, it failed a third time, and i gave up.

my status message for today reads, "maybe it was meant for them and not for me. then again, there are other things that God has planned for me. i take all these in His name." people here at work thought that i was referring to the recent changes at work. actually, "it" refers to becoming a lawyer. maybe there are certain kinds of people who are meant to be lawyers, maybe i'm not one of them, although sometimes i imagine how my life would be like had i passed the bar and taken my oath. it might be way different from the life i live now. it could be better, or it could be worse. i don't really know.

No comments:

Post a Comment